Thursday 3 April 2008

Stage four - long day?

Email from Paul:

Well yes, it was, but 11 hrs 4 mins it was perhaps my quickest speed so far. I had a 10 hour plan mapped out, and a tad disappointed not to break 11 hours, but the dreaded soft sand did for me again, I am beginning to loath it! Still, pleased with my result, and wait to find out the placing tomorrow - rest day. No injuries to report...yet, but I haven't taken my socks off yet, not expecting anything though. Amazing scenery today and reached the first big climb in third place (the top 50 runners set off 3 hrs later _ saw one at CheckPoint 4, he was flying and it wasn't anahal (leader).) A few other climbs slowed me down, as did the last hour in the dark, but hit a great surface with 10 mins to go and sprinted!

Paul finished 109th in the stage, taking him up to 119th place overall. Better not tell him that under 11hours for stage 4 would have taken him into the top 100 overall........

No comments: