Sunday 6 January 2008

Race - The Hebden

Decided to enter 'The Hebden' yesterday after seeing it advertised on a Runners World email. Also, I was going to be in Heptonstall in the afternoon for my godson's first birthday - so perfect timing! Happy Birthday Inigo!

The Hebden is organised by the LDWA and takes in 22 miles and 4,000 feet of ascent in and around Mytholmroyd (where it starts), Hebden Bridge, Heptonstall and Cragg Vale. After lots of rain on Friday and on the drive over from Otley the day was actually quite clear and apart from the cold wind on the tops relatively warm. It was, however, very muddy underfoot.

Set out at quite a quick pace and was in a group of about 8 just behind a lead group of a similar number. However, I started to flag a bit on the climb out of Hardcastle Craggs and was feeling a bit out of sorts. Also, I knew we were approaching the cemetery where a former colleague of mine is buried.

Alice was only 21 when she died following a tragic accident that happened only a week after she'd finished working on a 12 month placement with me. In her memory we set up 'Alice's Run', a 10k trail race that stats and finishes in Mytholmroyd. This year the race is on Sunday 31 August, which will be the third anniversary of Alice's death.

I decided to stop at Blackshawhead and spent 5 or 10 minutes at Alice's grave. As before the new headstone and many flowers were bathed in sunshine.

I felt much more enthused after my contemplative stop and joined up with 3 passing runners to continue the race.

I stuck with them to checkpoint 3 then joined a bigger group of about 7 runners and stayed with them to the end. It was a good route, lots of steady climbs and some great views from the tops. It was very muddy underfoot though and I think I would have been better off in fell shoes and not the trail shoes I had chosen. A good workout though.

To find out more about Alice's Run go to: http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/involved/alicesrun.html

No comments: