Saturday 31 August 2013

Day 365 - the 365 challenge, completed!

Sluggish parkrun this morning, so as I coasted along knowing it wasn't going to be quick, I decided to run 20:13, which I did, almost timing it to perfection, just hesitating to walk the last couple of strides to the line.

So, that's 365 days of running everyday, finishing with 3 miles in 20:13 and a total mileage of 2,013 miles. 

The year in numbers:

72 races - which includes the six days of the Wild Coast Ultra, my one multi-stage race of the year

4 ultra races including a new PB in the West Highland Way Race

9 marathons - in five weeks in April/May I ran my 4th fastest London Marathon and quickest since 2007, knocked 30 minutes off my Northumberland Coastal Challenge time and then ran my fastest Edinburgh Marathon 

2 half marathons - my time at the South Yorkshire Half Marathon was my 5th fastest ever and quickest since 2006

2 10k races - in April, one week after London, I ran my second fastest 10k ever at Bradford, my quickest since 2001!

49 5k races - 43 parkruns in the last 12 months at seven different venues, including my 100th parkrun and my 100th parkrun at Leeds

6 'other' races including a new mile PB by 2 secs

All in all, a good year of running. After a while running everyday became routine, and judging by some of my performances, has enhanced my running rather than hindered it. So much for my evangelical fervour about rest days in the past. I guess, it's whatever suits you best.

And next? Well, Alice's Run tomorrow, a 10k trail race and then on Monday, I might just have a rest day.....

Finally though, a big thank you to Martin Like from Likeys.com for instigating this challenge. It's been fun!

No comments: