Sunday 17 March 2013

Day 198 - South Yorkshire Half Marathon

First time doing this race, a two lap tour of old villages and mining communities in the Dearne Valley (including running passed some of RSPB's newly acquired land that is being managed not only for wildlife but also for flood alleviation).

A cold day, but fairly still and a surprising quick course. There were two hills that added about a minute onto my time, otherwise a PB would have been on the cards. But, I was very pleased to finish in a time of 1:24:45 which is my 5th quickest half marathon (today was number 30) and my quickest since 2007!

What made it even more satisfying is that I ran it pretty much as a time trial as I was out on my own after less than a mile into the race. I was being tracked by a youngster who trailed me up until about mile 8 then went out about 30 secs ahead. Apparently he'd been using me as his pacer and was very pleased to clock a new PB! Like myself and a few other runners he was using this as a pre London time trial.

So, a very satisfying morning, still to find out what place I came but also think I might have been ahead of the first women, or to put that into South African runner's parlance, I avoided being 'chicked'!!

13 more miles to the tally takes it to 1,098!

No comments: