Tuesday 9 April 2013

Day 221 - speed work

Speed work is hard! Plan was warm up run followed by four miles above marathon pace. Ended up doing the six mile Old Pool Bank route so used the first mile as my warm up then upped the pace along the nicely flat Pool Road. Only trouble is that north easterly wind is still blowing and I was running in to it, not ideal conditions for 'speed work'! It also made it feel pretty chilly despite the sunshine.

Anyway, that meant about two miles at pace before slowing to tackle the hill which is Old Pool Bank, a bit of as slog after plenty of ascent on each of the last two days runs. In fact there were 476 ft of ascent today, over a fairly short distance.

Top of the hill I took a moment to catch my breath then picked up speed on the long run down Leeds Road. Not sure of exact minute per mile pace but was running a steady 4:06 minute per kilometre pace, which is about 6:36 if my maths is right. Average pace overall was 7:56 and my fastest speed, though I've no idea over what distance, was 5:44 minutes per mile!

Six more miles in the bag and 1,228 now run.

No comments: