Tuesday 18 March 2008

Exercise ECG - 2 miles!

My cardiologist organised an exercise ECG for me today as part of my expanding case file at the LGI into my mysterious chest pain episodes! It also happens to be a recommended test for any MdS runner over 40 - so belt and braces I guess.

Anyway, test started off with a 'supine' reading, which looked like my normal 'abnormal' ECG to me and resting heart rate was round about 60bpm.

I also had to have a number of areas of my chest strategically shaved to attach the electrodes - that'll be nice and itchy by the time I get to the desert then.

Then it was time for the exercise. This consisted of 3 minute slots starting at a walking pace on a 10% slope and then steadily increasing both speed and gradient until I was running at 5.5 mph on a 20% hill! This felt like serious training and, as I hit my maximum heart rate towards the end of this session (178 bpm) I was OK to stop - I wasn't sure I could face another increase in speed AND gradient anyway!

The technicians seemed happy with my results which now get whizzed HNS style over to Dr Cowan for his assessment. I guess I'll only hear back if he spots anything 'interesting'.

Needless to say, I don't think many people in the cardiology ward get that far through the test...

Less appealing than this test is a further exploration that my GP has come up with which involves a Barium meal. Might save that till after the MdS I think!

No comments: