Monday 10 March 2008

Race - Barry 40

Took part in the Barry 40 yesterday which is held at Jenner Park Stadium, the home of Barry Town FC. The event consists of running 161 laps around a tartan running track - who said ultra running was glamorous?!

Despite forecasts of howling gales and lashing rain the day remained sunny for the most part, but the two hail showers were freezing.

I''ve done this race twice before, it was my first ultra back in 2005 and I finished 10th in 5 hrs 21 mins and then in 2006 had to drop out after 26.2 miles because of a shoe problem that created a very painful knee....I did go through the marathon distance under 3.15 though.

I set out yesterday with the target of running 5 hours (or rather anything inside 5 hours) and was on track up to 20 miles and still OK at the marathon mark (3:14 yesterday). Then, as seems to happen in most ultra races the wheels started to come off.......firstly, I found the Nuun flavoured water hard to stomach and kept feeling like I was going to vomit........then my lower back went into spasm and I could hardly stand up, let alone run, but a few walking laps, a geobar, cups of water and, most importantly, Nurofen, and I was suddenly up to 35 miles and just 20 laps to run.

At this point I decided the best strategy was to dig in and try and run the last 20 laps straight off, not worrying about refuelling etc, and if I could get back to sub 2 minute laps I was still in with a chance of breaking my PB. Luckily, my legs held out and I even ran one of my fastest laps of the day in last mile.

I finished with a time of 5 hrs 14 minutes, 7 minutes better than my previous time and finished in 12th place. I averaged 7 min 49 sec mile pace, I would have needed 7 min 30 for a sub-5.

There was a really quality field yesterday, with many past winners and any one of the top 9 competing for the lead early on. 10th palce went to the first woman, who ran a women's record 12th fastest ever time in the world at this distance!

I was happy with my run and my mug with the words: 'Barry 40 - Finisher'!

I must also mention my support crew, Pamela and Emma who sat through my ordeal noting down my time for every one of the 161 laps and giving me updates on various milestones and laps completed/to go. Now that is dedication......

1 comment:

Phil Robertson said...

Congratulations on this run Paul - I didn't know you wre doing it. Really great time for 40 miles.